Friday, September 24, 2010

ROM: New Director = ?

Thoughts aroused by the Globe and Mail interview article " Janet Carding Settles in at the ROM" (James Bradshaw, Friday September 24, 2010. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/janet-carding-settles-in-at-the-rom/article1723815/)

So here is our new ROM director Ms. Janet Carding, a single mid-age female specialist on fundraising and science museum. Normally a new administration means new focuses. As an art history student and a temporary part-time staff at the ROM, I guess it is wise to pay attention to such new focuses -- to decide whether to stay or to move forward in the soon future. So this new director likes natural history and sciences, and she will focus on online experience, and continuing blockbuster shows. I regard the latter two as the globle museum development trends, but the first one is definitely not a good sign to me. Simply by thinking of the upcoming Water show, I can already foresee another kindergarden-like ROM. Ever since I am back from NYC, I suddenly realize that the ROM is in fact copying the American Museum of Natural History display style on its 2nd & 3rd floors. I am never fond of copycats, not to mention that the ROM, at this point is still a place that can make my blood running faster.

Seriously, I am not thrilling about this new Janet's statement. Maybe it is time to wake up... if not quitting....at least to realize that such "dynamic" is just not my thing. I can deal with young kids once a while, but definitely no more than 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment